Wednesday 5 November 2014

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - November 4, 2014

I didn’t leave too early today due to fairly thick fog, however when I departed in still quite foggy conditions within about five miles the fog disappeared and it became a beautiful sunny morning.  On route I had seen a single Buzzard just after turning onto the B664 to Uppingham towards Eyebrook Reservoir.

As I approached Eyebrook Reservoir the fog thickened again and it was still quite misty when I reached the track to the fishing lodge.  There was very little visible just a few Blackbird and Chaffinch.  I moved around to the first coral where I counted twenty-one Cormorants but there was nothing else of note.  When I reached the second coral the fog had almost gone but I realised that I had left my tripod at home, which was not good news.  I did find three Dunlin and counted 640 Golden Plovers but other than a single Snipe there was little of note.

I called Steve to find that there was no sign of yesterday’s Snow Bunting and it would appear that it had gone.  I went to the Egleton Reserve and asked in the centre if I could borrow a tripod and Tim Mackrill thankfully sorted me out.  Now having a tripod and went to the north arm where I met Nigel.  Between us we found two Barnacle Geese, a Shelduck, six male and three female Red-crested Pochard, seventeen Little Egrets, a Black-necked Grebe and a single Redshank.  A Green Sandpiper was also found in the fishponds and two Red Kites and a Buzzard were observed over Burley Wood and a male and female Kestrel were hunting in the north arm.

I eventually went back to the Egleton Reserve and took an early lunch before going to the centre with Mike to view lagoon one.  There was at least four Snipe, nine Curlew and a Redshank feeding in the shallows and there was a female Stonechat right in front of the centre.  The Great White Egret was still present and there were four Little Egrets also on the lagoon.

Mike and I then set off to Shoveler hide on lagoon three and were joined by Pat.  Mike and Pat had got a little ahead of me as I had received a phone call from Dave and they flushed a Sparrowhawk, which then flew across the meadow before disappearing on the far side.  On reaching Shoveler hide other then two male and two female Red-crested Pochard and couple of drake Pintail there was little else, although a Red Kite and three Buzzards were circling overhead.

Pat and Mike departed but I continued on to Lapwing hide to view South Arm Three.  Again there were fewer birds, particularly Tufted Ducks, and there was no sign of the Ring-necked Duck.  The island that has failed to appear this year was now close enough to the surface to allow Cormorants to rest and it may still appear but too late for wader migration.  I scanned lagoon two from the hide and found a single Black-tailed Godwit but there was little else.


A visit to Dunlin hide produced very few gulls as the water level had risen further and consequently there were also fewer Lapwings, although there was at least fifty Golden Plover.


Wren from Dunlin hide


Wren from Dunlin hide

With still some daylight remaining I decided to go back home via Eyebrook Reservoir and managed to find another Dunlin, two Ringed Plover and fourteen Snipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment