Wednesday 18 December 2013

A day’s birding at Rutland Water, Rutland - December 17, 2013

I had decided to spend the day at Rutland Water and to do so, on the Egleton Reserve.  I had three Buzzards and two Red Kites on route over to the reserve and on arrival went straight to buzzard hide on lagoon three.  On Saturday there had been a lot of birds in front of this hide but there were far fewer today.  One of the first birds I noticed was a Bittern sitting on the edge of the reeds soaking up the early morning sunshine.  The three male Pintail present on this lagoon were still present and a Water Rail was observed feeding quite close to the hide but there was no sign of any Smew today.  A Kingfisher was perched in the tree to the left of the hide but unfortunately I didn’t notice until it flew out and disappearing to the east.


Cormorant on lagoon three


Grey Heron on lagoon three


Grey Heron on lagoon three


Grey Heron on lagoon three


Mute Swan alighting on lagoon three


Drake Teal on lagoon three


Water Rail from buzzard hide


Water Rail from buzzard hide


Water Rail from buzzard hide


Water Rail from buzzard hide


Fieldfare close to shoveler hide

I moved on to smew hide where there was very little, although I possibly had a brief view of a Chiffchaff but I was unable to confirm it.  There was nothing from crake hide but I did see a Kingfisher from lapwing hide, which was presumably the same bird I had seen from buzzard hide.  I then visited plover hide on lagoon four seeing just three Shelduck with very little else and from bittern hide I did find a drake Smew on lagoon three and also a Green Sandpiper at the back of the lagoon.


Wren from smew hide

I walked back to the car park lunch having some nice views of a Jay close to redshank hide.

After lunch Nigel joined me and we went to the centre to view lagoon one.  There were only thirty-six Pintail on view today, which was a considerable reduction since Sunday.  There were ten Curlew at the back of the lagoon with two more feeding on the southern edge and three Redshanks were feeding to the right.  It is strange that how a few weeks ago the large island was covered in birds and yet now there are very few, although there were still plenty of birds on the water and other islands.

Nigel and I moved off heading to shoveler hide on lagoon three but called at grebe hide to look for the Stonechats but there was no sign, although there were another five Pintail.

On reaching shoveler hide there was now a male and two red-head Smew at the back of the lagoon where there was also four Redshank and two Water Rails were observed along the edge of the reeds.  Closer, three Snipe were observed amongst the decaying vegetation on the near island and a Red Kite was observed over the north arm.  I called at buzzard hide again where I had further views of the Water Rail and saw the Bittern again as it flew quite a long way over the reebed before dropping in.

I spent the last forty minutes or so back at the centre but other than a couple of Curlew there was little else and I called it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment