Tuesday 12 February 2013

An afternoon at Rutland Water - February 12, 2013


I went over to Rutland Water to look for the Great Northern Diver again and also hopefully to see a first-winter Glaucous Gull that has come in on lagoon four during the last two days.

I arrived at the dam and despite six of us searching for the diver, as usual there was no sign but there was a nice adult Yellow-legged Gull present.

On arrival at the Bird Watching Centre the diver was in the book as at the dam earlier today.  I walked down the service road and looked for the Hawfinch but there was no sign this afternoon but I did have a Water Rail, Tree Sparrow and Brambling.

I went with Colin Towe to dunlin hide on lagoon four to scan the gulls but there was no sign of the Glaucous amongst the numerous large gulls.  The gulls slowly increased and around 17:00 I saw the Glaucous Gull drop in.  It was rather a dark individual but easily identified as a first-winter and there was also a first-winter Caspian Gull found as well.

It was a good finish to the afternoon despite the diver again not playing ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment