Thursday 21 February 2013

A day’s birding in Northwest Leicestershire - February 19, 2013


After dropping my granddaughter off at school I decided to visit Kelham Bridge, which is one of the few sites that Willow Tit can be regularly found in Leicestershire & Rutland.  I was in the hide overlooking the feeding station for forty-five minutes and whilst there was plenty of activity there Willow Tits were noticeable by their absence.  A pair did fortunately pay a brief visit during the forty-five minutes before moving off very quickly but at least they could be added to the year list.  There was Great Tit and Blue Tit present for most of the time and these were supported by a pair of Long-tailed Tit, several Chaffinch, a Robin at least three Dunnock, Blackbirds and a single Jay.  A single Snipe was also observed in flight.


Jay at Kelham Bridge 


Brown Rat at Kelham Bridge


I moved off to Blackbrook Reservoir but there was no sign of any Mandarin and there was very little else, A Great Spotted Woodpecker drumming being the best.

I called at Swithland Wood next but again it was very quiet with a Jay, two Treecreeper and three Mistle Thrush being the best.

I moved off to Swithland Reservoir where I spent the rest of the day.  There was nothing of note from the causeway overlooking the southern half of the reservoir but I soon found the female Velvet Scoter and a Peregrine from the dam.  I heard Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers and a Nuthatch and saw a Buzzard but there was little else during my lengthy stay.  How much the birdlife has changed at this reservoir of the years with passerines in particularly being significantly fewer than thirty years ago.  However it was a beautiful afternoon and I enjoyed soaking the sun whilst hoping the scoter my come close enough to the dam to photograph, but it didn’t.


Male Goldeneye at Swithland Reservoir


Male Goldeneye at Swithland Reservoir


Grey Squirrel at Swithland Reservoir


No comments:

Post a Comment