Wednesday 5 December 2012

A short visit to Northwest Leicestershire - December 4, 2012


I went out today hoping to catch up with some more Waxwing.  There had been quite a few yesterday at various sites and my first port of call was in Groby but there was no sign in the fairly heavy sleet.  Yesterday there had been 100+ at the junction of Fairway Road and Trueway Drive, Shepshed and when I arrived there was about twenty-five at the top of a roadside willow but they soon departed as the rain eased.  I drove back around Fairway Drive and found circa sixty in a tree.  They were dropping down to the ground to feed on berries that had fallen of the tree and were extremely nervous in the inclement weather and eventually flew off into the centre of the estate.

I called at Blackbrook Reservoir where the weather took a turn for the worse again but I did manage to see a drake Mandarin. 

From Blackbrook I went to Swithland Reservoir where there was still a first-winter male and a female Velvet Scoter and a Peregrine in the tree on Buddon Wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment