Sunday 2 December 2012

A day birding in Leicestershire & Rutland - November 28, 2012


I went to Rutland Water first today and it was much colder particularly in the northwest wind.  I walked to shoveler hide on lagoon three where I found a red-headed Smew against the reeds on the far side.  There were hundreds of Lapwing in flight and very high and I suspected that there was, or had been, a Peregrine about.  I eventually found a Green Sandpiper and Redshank and five Snipe dropped in.  The Teal in particular appeared very restless and were flying around quite a lot.  Eventually the Peregrine flew over the lagoon, swooping low, but failing to catch anything.


Peregrine over lagoon three

I then walked onto lapwing hide but other than a couple of Little Egrets and five Goosanders there was little else.  On the way back I called a smew hide and a couple of views of a female Kingfisher and a single Snipe flew over.


Male Goosander


Female Goosander


Kingfisher

A second visit to shoveler hide produced further views of the Smew and a Sparrowhawk.
There appeared to be quite a few more Fieldfare and Redwing around today in the meadows and I saw quite a few during my time travelling.

I called briefly at Eye Brook Reservoir where I saw twelve Siskin and four Lesser Redpoll and two distant Buzzards.

No comments:

Post a Comment