Wednesday 10 October 2012

A day’s birding at Rutland Water, Rutland - October 9, 2012


I was out on my own today and spent all of my time at Rutland Water.  I decided to walk to Lax Hill first calling at snipe and harrier hides before finally reaching Lax Hill and goldeneye hide.  Snipe and harrier hide failed to produce anything of note as did the walk to Lax Hill.  The light at goldeneye hide was very poor due to the bright sun but trend continued with very little, although the water level had clearly dropped.


Female Pheasant in the wet meadow


Melanistic female Pheasant in the wet meadow


Male Kestrel alongside the footpath to harrier hide


Female Mallard from harrier hide

I headed off towards heron hide and heard a Marsh Tit calling but could not locate it.  As I entered the field from Lax Hill I could see that there was very little in Heron Bay or south arm two and decided to go straight to the 360° on lagoon five.

When I entered the 360° hide on lagoon five there were clearly more birds on the lagoon than my last visit.  There were thirty-seven Egyptian Geese amongst which I located a single Shelduck.  I then noticed a Curlew on one of the islands and then found five more on a different island.  As I was walking away from the lagoon there was a large flock of Golden Plover overhead, which had probably been disturbed from lagoon five where there was some work being carried out today.  They circled for quite some time before some at least decided to land on lagoon five whilst others just dispersed.


Golden Plover over lagoon five


Golden Plover over lagoon five

When I reached the centre, there was a report of a Whooper Swan on lagoon one and a Red-crested Pochard in the north arm.  I went upstairs to the viewing area and soon found the single Whooper to the right.

After some lunch I went to the north arm where I soon found the female Red-crested Pochard feeding amongst a party of Coot.  There were also two Ruff and a single Green Sandpiper feeding on the recently exposed mud as the water level was falling.

I returned to the centre and walked to lapwing hide overlooking south arm three where I located a drake Scaup moulting out of eclipse plumage.  Other than a large party of Coot, several Tufted Duck and Great Crested Grebe there was little else so I went to shoveler hide on lagoon three calling at smew hide on route.  There appeared to be very little on lagoon two, which was not surprising as there was maintenance being carried out.  As I was looking for a party of Long-tailed Tits I could hear calling a Kingfisher flew up the tiny water course to the right of the hide.


Eclipse drake Scaup in south arm three

There were numerous duck on lagoon three mainly Gadwall and Tufted Duck but there was four Pintail and several Shoveler.

I could also hear a bird calling close to the hide that I suspected was a Water Rail, which was confirmed when it gave a more familiar call.  I moved to the other end of the hide and was able to get some very nice photos before I saw two of them move back into the reeds.




Water Rail from shoveler hide on lagoon three

My final call was to dunlin hide on lagoon four where evidence of the work carried out was clearly in evidence with most of the bird being on the western edge of the lagoon.  There were two adult Yellow-legged Gulls amongst the gulls resting in the normal area and at least some of the Golden Plovers had returned.  I then noticed three smaller waders in flight, which I thought would be Dunlin and was able to confirm that was what they were when they landed.

It had been a good day in some rather pleasant if a little cool autumn weather.

There was also quite a few Common Darter and I saw at least four Migrant Hawkers and there were also singles of Small White, Red Admiral, Painted Lady and Small Tortoiseshell butterflies.  The Painted Lady was my first and probably last of the year.


No comments:

Post a Comment