Saturday 21 October 2017

A short break in West Norfolk - October 15 - 18, 2017

It is half term in Leicestershire & Rutland and with the family away in Spain my wife and I had booked three nights at Briarfield’s in Titchwell and were on the road by 09:25 heading for West Norfolk.  It was quite misty when we left home, which did clear somewhat on route and we arrived at the RSPB Reserve at Titchwell at around 12:00.  However, we found the car park full and therefore went to Briarfield's just to park but found that the room was ready and so unpacked before going for a walk to the reserve.  There is a footpath from the hotel onto the Autumn Trail and from there we walked around to the centre.

From the centre we walked along the west bank to the sea seeing a nice male Marsh Harrier over the reedbed and a female-type over Thornham Marsh.  There was a good selection of waders on the Freshwater Marsh with two Avocets, a Knot and two Little Stints being the highlights.  There were also Dunlin, Ruff, Black-tailed Godwit and Redshank and a Turnstone was observed on Volunteer Marsh.

When we reached the sea, it was quiet with just two Common Scoter and a couple of Great Crested Grebes being observed on the sea with only a few waders on the beach due to the tide being quite high.  I did find several Oystercatchers, three Sanderling and two Bar-tailed Godwits but there was very little else.  As we walked back I saw a single Pintail in flight, a Rock Pipit on the Freshwater Marsh and along the Autumn Trail there were two Swallows hawking over one of the tall trees and we got back to the hotel at 16:05.

I drove back to the reserve at around 17:15 and walked out onto the west bank, seeing two House Martin over the car park, but didn’t go out to the sea again spending until around 18:30 observing from the bank.  I had a Greenshank fly in and there were now noticeably more Ruff on the Freshwater Marsh and I counted ninety-eight.  I had at least eight Marsh Harriers over the reedbed, including a single male and I saw sixteen Little Egrets go to roost in the wood beyond the Autumn Trail.  As I made a final scan over Thornham Marsh I picked up another harrier and realised it was a male Hen Harrier and managed to get the scope on it before it disappeared, which was a fitting end to the day.

I was back on the reserve at 06:45 with dawn just breaking where there was a light south-west wind, although hurricane Ophelia, which had caused so much devastation in the Caribbean would be having an impact latter.  It was barely light as I headed off down the west bank from where I heard a Tawny Owl calling back towards the centre and a Water Rail called but only once.  There were several Marsh Harriers over the reedbed area and gulls were streaming out from their roost.

When I eventually reached the sea, it was again very quiet, although there were more waders on the falling tide that included, Oystercatchers, ten Knot; twelve Sanderling, forty-eight Bar-tailed Godwit and a Turnstone.  Two Common Scoter on the sea were presumably those I had seen yesterday and there were at least four Great Crested Grebes.  A party of four ducks were observed in flight with one dropping onto the sea, which I was then able to identify as a Long-tailed Duck but the other three remained unidentified.

On the walk back there was a Turnstone on the Volunteer Marsh and five Avocets, two Little Stints, thirty-eight Dunlin, 128 Ruff and c.200 Black-tailed Godwits on the Freshwater Marsh.

After breakfasting we went to Burnham Overy Staithe for a walk and went from the road along the footpath to the sea and then walked back again.  Before we set off I checked the geese in the first field hoping that either the Taiga Bean Goose or Greenland White-fronted Goose would be amongst the Greylag and Pink-footed Geese but there was no sign, so we then walked down the path towards the sea wall.  We didn’t see a great deal and on reaching the beach all I could find were seven Gannet, an Oystercatcher and a Curlew.  As we walked back I found a single Little Egret on the marsh and four Stonechats on the saltmarsh side of the wall and then a fifth near where the Pallas’s Grasshopper Warbler was in September.


Burnham Overy Staithe


The beach


Gun Hill


Holkham Marsh


Pink-footed Geese

The sun had come out during or walk to the beach and even though the wind had increased significantly it still felt very warm when we got back to the car.  A quick scan towards Holkham Pines produced a Red Kite and a Buzzard.

From Burnham Overy Staithe we went to Burnham Market and after a walk around the shops and a coffee we went to Hunstanton where the wind was quite fresh as the remnants of Hurricane Ophelia was having an effect with the sun turning red and eventually disappearing when it turned quite gloomy.

When we got back to the hotel I walked to Titchwell in what were still gloomy conditions and after checking unsuccessfully for a Brambling I went along the west bank.  There were several thousand gulls already assembled on the Freshwater Marsh and I counted twenty Marsh Harriers, seven over Thornham Marsh, seven over the Freshwater Marsh and another six just east of the reserve.  It was eerily quiet with most birds becoming silent, obviously disoriented by the effects of Ophelia.  I went into Island Hide to get out of the wind and found the wind had pushed the water into the northeast corner exposing new areas of mud, which some waders particularly Dunlin were exploiting.  I counted 128 Ruff and there were over 200 Black-tailed Godwits on the lagoon, but I couldn’t find the little Stints I had seen earlier.  Another birder then indicated that he had some Bearded Tit, which was quite a surprise considering the wind.  I scoped the reeds in front of the hide and found two feeding right at the base of the reeds and clearly sheltered from the wind.  They remained in view for a few minutes allowing all present in the hide to find them.

I eventually made my way back towards the hotel and had twenty-six Little Egret flying around the trees that they appear to roost, but the dull conditions had now been replaced by bright sunshine and they appeared not to know whether to go to roost or not and there were also fewer Marsh Harrier in evidence.

When I got back to the hotel the wind was at its worse and it was now noticeably cooler.

Another early morning visit to Titchwell on the 17th when it was still very windy but at least dry.  I went straight out to the beach but found the sea was again very quiet, but I did have three Razorbill fly west, which were my first of the year, and a single Gannet.  There were a few waders on the beach including several Oystercatcher, a Grey Plover, five Knot, thirty-six Sanderling, seventy-six Bar-tailed Godwits and nine Turnstone.  There were 120 Ruff and 123 Black-tailed Godwits on the Freshwater Marsh along with thirty Dunlin but there was no sign of any Little Stints, although I did have my first Ringed Plovers of the week on Volunteer Marsh.

After breakfast I went to Holt with my wife and spent the morning walking around the shops before having a coffee and making our way back.

When we got back we walked to the Titchwell Visitor’s centre and I then spent twenty minutes looking unsuccessfully for a Brambling, which Roger, who only arrived today had seen.  We walked back to the hotel seeing a couple of Red-legged Partridge and I then drove to the reserve and met up with Roger.

I found out that he had seen the Brambling on the front feeders, so we had a look before going along the west bank.  The Brambling appeared after a few minutes and it looks as though I had been given some duff information as to where it was.  The wind had now dropped considerably and the water in the Freshwater Marsh had relevelled and we found a single Little Stint but nothing else of note I hadn’t seen during my earlier visits and so we continued to the sea.  The sea was still very quiet with nothing new and there were very few waders along the shore.

We went back along the west bank to view the reedbed where we had eight Marsh Harrier and noted twenty Little Egrets going into roost and had three Swallows fly over before we returned to our cars.

When I got back to the hotel I walked to the footpath leading to the reserve to view the field, which looked suitable for a Barn Owl and I didn’t have to wait too long before one appeared, although unfortunately it disappeared again quite quickly.

The forecast for this morning, the 18th, wasn’t good but although it had rained overnight it was now dry and I went for another visit to Titchwell.  Yesterday it was forecasting northeast winds and I was hoping the sea might liven up, but the wind was easterly, and the sea was again quiet.  There were lots more Common Scoter but except for three the rest were out towards the wind turbines and other than a few Great Crested Grebes I just had one Red-throated Diver fly east.  The tide had just turned, and waders were increasing whilst I stood on the beach and I saw Oystercatchers, a Grey Plover, two Knot, eight Sanderling, forty-one Bar-tailed Godwits and twelve Turnstone.

As I walked back there were another thirteen Grey Plover on the Tidal Marsh along with a few Black-tailed Godwits and Redshank.  Volunteer Marsh was still mainly covered but water was flowing out fast and a several Redshank were taking the opportunity to feed.

On the Freshwater Marsh I had four Avocets, five Golden Plover, two Little Stints, sixteen Dunlin, 120 Ruff and sixty-eight Black-tailed Godwit and I had counted fifty-eight Curlew flying off after roosting earlier and had seen at least twenty-three Little Egrets with most leaving the roosting site.

After breakfast I went to Burnham Overy Staithe to see if either of the scarce geese were there.  There were plenty of geese mainly Pink-footed and Greylag Geese but also two Barnacle Geese and forty-two Egyptian Geese.  I drove further along the road to find most of Pink-footed Geese were in the field to the east where it is impossible to park safely and so returned to Titchwell for a coffee before setting off home.

As were walking down to the centre another birder informed me that there were two Yellow-browed Warblers showing and calling well in the coach park.  Sandra went on to get the coffees whilst I went back to have a look for the Yellow-browed Warblers but there was no sign and I went back for my coffee.  I called Roger to make him aware of the warblers as he was at Titchwell but on the beach.  Whilst having my coffee I had a chat with a guy who does the moth trap at Titchwell, which should have been put out last night but wasn’t.  He had found and potted several moths he had found around the lights that included three firsts for me, which were Green-brindled Crescent, Large Wainscot and The Chestnut.

After my coffee I went back to the car and found a crowd watching something, which turned out to be one of the Yellow-browed Warblers, which I then saw quite well before it was lost again.

No comments:

Post a Comment