Wednesday 26 July 2017

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - July 4, 2017

I was out on my own today and headed for Eyebrook Reservoir seeing a Buzzard just before turning towards the reservoir but there was no sign of the Little Owls in the old oak.

I stopped at the bridge but it was quiet with just a single Blackcap singing and a Kestrel being seen to the east.  I drove and parked overlooking the inlet and found a single Little Ringed Plover amongst the Lapwing and there was a female Gadwall with a brood of seven in the stream.  There were at least seven Common Terns around the reservoir, six Swift passed through and there was a very distant Buzzard to the south-west.  I also heard Whitethroat and Sedge Warbler but didn’t see either and eventually moved onto Rutland Water.

As I drove down the road towards Lyndon a Least Weasel ran across the road and after parking I went to Teal Hide to view the south arm.  I could see both young Osprey and the adults in Manton Bay and it doesn't look as if it won’t be too long before the young are flying.  There were four Common Terns flying around Manton Bay and another seven scattered around the south arm and there were five Little Egrets visible between the hide and the Manton Bay bridge.  I checked the feeders on the way back to the car and found a couple of Tree Sparrows and I saw three Garden Warblers and a Whitethroat close to the hide.

A visit to Normanton for Mandarin looked as though it would be unproductive after checking both the harbour and the area between the harbour and the church.  I had walked about 100 meters towards the church and as I walked back I found the female with three well-grown young huddled down amongst the rocks and not concerned although I was just a couple of meters away.


Female Mandarin and three young

A visit to Normanton for Mandarin looked as though it would be unproductive after checking both the harbour and the area between the harbour and the church.  I had walked about 100 meters towards the church and as I walked back I found the female with three well-grown young huddled down amongst the rocks and not concerned although I was just a couple of meters away.

There was an adult Yellow-legged Gull perched on one of the buoys and two Common Terns were feeding in the bay.  Steve and Terry joined me and after a brief chat and seeing an Osprey we walked back to the cars when Terry picked up a Sparrowhawk flying over before they went onto Lyndon and I went to the Egerton Reserve.

After parking I went into the centre to view Lagoon One, where I found a Great White Egret, a Little Egret and another Yellow-legged Gull.  The number of Tufted Duck on the lagoon had increased significantly and there must have been several hundred birds present.  I scanned through them but didn’t find anything of note, although many of the birds were roosting on the islands, making identification difficult but most were clearly Tufted Ducks.

I eventually left the centre and went towards the southern lagoons where I intended to complete a circuit and then go to the northern lagoons this afternoon.  I saw a Chiffchaff just before I came out of the wooded area and along the path towards the hides.


A rather damp Song Thrush devouring a snail


Song Thrush

On reaching Snipe Hide I found a single Shelduck and a Green Sandpiper on the Wet Meadow flash but saw very little else and continued onto Harrier Hide.  Mike Chester joined me in the hide but the only bird of note was an Oystercatcher flying over.  I was thinking of departing when Steve called to say Terry had found a female Ruddy Duck on Lagoon One but Mike and I were unable to see and went back to Snipe Hide to get a different view but again got the same result.  Ken had called to say he had arrived and went to the centre to look for the Ruddy.  When Mike and I went up to the viewing area Steve and Terry were still there and Ken was scoping the Ruddy Duck.  Mike and I soon found the Ruddy Duck diving amongst a party of Canada Geese and presumably it was the same individual that had been present over last winter, which I last saw on May 13th.


Small Tortoiseshell


Gatekeeper

As we walked back to the car park for lunch a Sparrowhawk flew over and a Red Kite was circling the field to the south.

After lunch Ken and I went to the northern lagoons, seeing a Great Spotted Woodpecker on route, and on reaching the far end of the Summer Trail went into Sandpiper Hide on Lagoon Four.  From the hide, we found a single Shelduck, seven Little Egrets, a Great White Egret, five Oystercatchers, four Ringed Plovers and three Redshank.  There were a few large gulls on the lagoon, that included two Yellow-legged Gulls and eleven Common Terns that were roosting on the spit running from Island Ten


Great White Egret being harassed by a Black-headed Gull

Having moved on to Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three, where the water is beginning to drop we found an immature Shelduck and a Little Egret on the far side of the lagoon.  Steve and Terry then joined us and Steve found a Green Sandpiper in the recently cleared area in the reedbed and whilst viewing this we also found a female Tufted Duck with a brood of four.


Juvenile Little Grebe


Juvenile Great Crested Grebe


Probable young male Pochard on Lagoon Three

Steve and Terry had seen a pair of Redshank with four young from Dunlin Hide on Lagoon Four and so I walked around to the hide hoping that I would see them.  I found the two adults, one with three young and another with just one.  As I watched them one of the adults became quite agitated and flew around to where one of the three had been feeding and then flew into the longer grass.  It came out of the grass still calling and still agitated and continued to call for quite some time after which I only ever saw three juveniles.  Whilst in the hide I found nine Little Ringed Plovers, two more Ringed Plovers, making six in total, scattered around the lagoon.

I called at Eyebrook Reservoir again on route home and saw two Shelduck and heard a Little Owl calling.


Small Skipper at Rutland Water

No comments:

Post a Comment