Saturday 8 April 2017

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland and Lincolnshire - April 4, 2017

I left home in slightly overcast conditions but the sun was shining by the time I reached Eyebrook Reservoir.  I had seen a couple of Buzzards on route, one at Wistow and the other approaching Eyebrook Reservoir.

After turning onto the northern approached road to Eyebrook Reservoir I stopped to view the old oak and found both Little Owls on view.  There were six Tree Sparrows around the inlet bridge and I had a nice view of a male Blackcap and heard another and a Chiffchaff.  From the gateway along the eastern edge I found a couple of Snipe on the edge of the stream, where there was a suggestion of a muddy edge.  There was a single Shelduck and a Little Egret on the edge of the stream and a second Little Egret in flight a little further to the south.


With little else obvious at the reservoir I set off to the Lyndon Reserve at Rutland Water but saw very little on route but did hear a Chiffchaff near Wing.

The centre was closed when I arrived in the car park and so I went to view the feeders where there was a single Yellowhammer.  Whilst I stood observing the feeders I heard a Willow Warbler singing and then had brief views.

I went down to Teal Hide to view the south arm and both the Manton Bay Ospreys were on view with the female on the nest and the male on the perch above the nest.  Apparently, the female laid her first egg during the day and the male was observed incubating later in the day.  When I scanned the far side just to the left of Goldeneye Hide on Lax Hill I picked up a sandpiper and identified it as a Common Sandpiper, which was the first site record of the year and there were also two Black-tailed Godwits.

From the centre, I drove to Sykes Lane and after parking set off to view the dam.  There was another Chiffchaff singing and I heard and then saw another Blackcap.  As I started to walk across the dam it appeared devoid of birds and I almost turned back but I eventually walked right across but had only seen three Pied Wagtails and two Meadow Pipits.  I stopped and scanned the dam from the south end but found nothing but a Red Kite passing over head provided and excellent photo opportunity.  After getting a few shots of the Red Kite I started walking back and hadn’t gone too far when I was sure I heard a Yellow Wagtail call and on looking along the dam found a nice male perched on the rocks close to the top of the rocks.  It was close enough to photograph but before I had a chance a Pied Wagtail chased it and I couldn't relocate it.  When I finally made it back to the car I hadn’t seen a great deal else, with a second Red Kite being the best.


Red Kite


Red Kite


Pied Wagtail


Meadow Pipit


Meadow Pipit

I made a brief stop at Barnsdale and focussed on the first piece of woodland hoping for a Marsh Tit or a Nuthatch but there was no evidence of either and I didn’t see a great deal else.

With little seen in Barnsdale I made my way to Egleton and after a brief chat with Stephen went towards the southern lagoons, initially making my way to the 360 Hide on Lagoon Five.  I called at Mallard Hide and found a couple of Curlew before moving on, having a couple of Chiffchaff and another male Blackcap on route.

From the 360 Hide, there were three Oystercatchers and four Redshanks but there was no sign of the reported Barnacle Goose.  I went to Shelduck Hide, which is also on Lagoon Five, but there was still no sign of the reported Barnacle Goose.  As I walked back up the track I heard at Blackcap and found a Chiffchaff feeding in the hedgerow on the left.


Chiffchaff


Chiffchaff


Chiffchaff

As I continued beyond the 360 Hide there were two Oystercatcher feeding on the grass to the left and four Shelduck and a pair of Redshank were on Lagoon Eight.  I called in Pintail Hide on Lagoon Six but there was nothing of note and I made my way to Harrier Hide, seeing a Chiffchaff as I approached the hide.

There were a couple of Oystercatcher on Lagoon One and an Osprey flew low over the hide on two occasions but there was little else and I started to make my way back to the centre.

I called at Snipe Hide on the way back where I found four Shelduck and a pair of Pintail and on getting back to the centre there was an Osprey on the nest platform, which was presumably the same bird I had seen from Harrier.

After some lunch, I drove to the North Arm but all I could find were a pair of Shelduck and a Redshank on the south shore and a Little Egret on the North Shore.  Whilst I was in the North Arm it became much colder and there was some light drizzle and I picked up three Swallows high above the water.  As I walked back to the car Steve and Terry arrived and whilst we were chatting an Osprey flew over but with the weather taking a turn for the worse we all went back to the centre.

There wasn’t a great deal visible from the centre but a lady returned saying she had seen a pair of Garganey on Lagoon Two but seemed a bit confused as from which hide.  She said it was the new hide and the first hide walking towards the northern lagoons but the new hide isn’t the new hide but does have a new ramp.

I went back to the car to get my waterproof coat, whilst Erik, Steve and Terry went to Redshank Hide, which is the first hide.  As I approached Redshank Hide, Terry was leaving and heading for Osprey Hide, which is the new hide, as there was no sign of any Garganey from Redshank Hide.

I joined Erik and Steve in Redshank where there was a couple of Pochard but little else.  I then received a text regarding a Cattle Egret at Deeping Lakes and we decided to go.  As we were leaving the hide Terry called to say he had seen the Garganey but that they had swum towards Grebe Hide and so went to Grebe Hide.  There was no sign when we got in the hide but Erik then picked them up towards Osprey Hide and we watched then for a couple of minutes before they swam out of sight again.

We then returned to the car park and headed for Deeping Lake, which was only about forty-five minutes away.  We drove through some heavy rain on route and it was still raining when we pulled up into the car park.  Richard arrived just after us but there was no sign of the Cattle Egret and after about twenty minutes Erik and I set off for the hide to hopefully find the Long-tailed Duck.  We hadn't gone very far when Erik caught sight of an egret in flight that dropped into the area we had just come from.  We walked back quickly but as I approached the shelter neither Richard or Steve looked at all excited.  Richard and Steve hadn’t seen the egret but another birder who Erik spoke to had and it was just a Little Egret.

Erik and I then set off for the hide again and this time Richard joined us and we heard Cetti's Warbler, Chiffchaff and Blackcap before reaching the hide.  I wasn’t too optimistic in finding the Long-tailed Duck as it isn’t possible to see all the lake from the hide.  There were plenty of distant Tufted Duck but the Long-tailed Duck didn’t appear to be amongst them and we were about to give up when I noticed what I thought was a small bird dive.  I alerted the other two and Erik scoped the area and when I indicated that it was up again he confirmed it was the Long-tailed Duck.

As we walked back we found Steve on the river bank but he hadn’t been able to find the Cattle Egret.  When we got back to the cars Richard saw something drop behind the reeds but on checking we found a Little Egret.  As we left the site and headed for Rutland Water a Green Woodpecker flew over.

On getting back to Rutland Water I was unsure whether to call it a day but Steve and Erik decided to go to Dunlin Hide on Lagoon Four.  I finally decided I would join them and set off.  Erik, who had gone to get his bike, caught me up and accompanied me part of the way before he continued onto the hide.

When I joined then in the hide Erik had already located three Ringed Plovers but I only eve saw one of the them and there was no sign of the Avocets, reported earlier.    There were plenty of gulls just in front of the hide, mainly Black-headed and Common but also a few Lesser Black-backed and Great Black-backed and an odd Herring Gull.  Erik then said Little Gull but it flew before Steve and I could get on it and although Erik was sure it came down again we couldn’t locate it.  Erik then went to Sandpiper Hide in the hope of finding it there but after about fifteen minutes with no news form him and only a couple of Pintail being found I called it a day.

I called Erik when I got out of the hide and he indicated that he had heard a Sedge Warbler from the bottom of the ramp to Sandpiper and so I joined him there.  We couldn’t hear the Sedge Warbler and so I started to make my way back to the car park, whilst he went to Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three.  I hadn’t gone too far when he called to say that the Little Gull was feeding with Black-headed Gulls on Lagoon Three.  I went back and fortunately it was still there when I arrived in the hide and I had reasonable if distant views of a first-winter/summer bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment