Friday 16 December 2016

A day at Rutland Water, Rutland - December 13, 2016

When I left home this morning I was surprised to find that it was quite foggy as it hadn’t been forecast and thirty minutes early it had been crystal clear.  It was still quite thick when I arrived in the car park at Egleton but there were twenty Redwings and three Fieldfares in the first meadow as I walked towards the centre.  I spent a while observing the feeders at Egleton, where there was quite a bit of activity, with Blue and Great Tits visiting the feeders regularly and more Chaffinch than I had seen at the feeders for some time.  A Great Spotted Woodpecker made a brief visit and there was also a Pheasant, Moorhen, a Collared Dove, Blackbird, Robin, Dunnock, Goldfinches and a single Greenfinch.

I went into the centre and after a brief chat with Stephen headed off towards Snipe Hide on the Wet Meadow.  As I walked through the woodland there were several Bullfinches but other than a few Blackbirds and Robins I had seen little else as I reached the end of the wood.  There was quite a bit of activity as I continued along the path with a few Blackbirds, Fieldfares more Goldfinches and Bullfinches and a single Reed Bunting.  As I reached the turn to Snipe Hide a party of finches flew over, which I suspected might be Siskin but they remained quiet and were just silhouettes and I couldn’t be sure.  A bird then flew from the area of scrub but landed almost immediately and I was surprised to see it was a lone Lesser Redpoll.


There was very little on the Wet Meadow from Snipe Hide, mainly Wigeon and Teal with a couple of Gadwall.  As I continued along the path to Harrier Hide two Curlew and a Shelduck flew over and after meeting Tim Caldicott, who was on his early morning circuit and had seen the Slavonian Grebe from Gadwall Hide and continued on.

There were at least ten Siskin in the Alders alongside the path but as it started to rain I made my way to Fieldfare Hide.  There were lots of birds both around the shoreline and on the water, which were mainly Wigeon, Teal and Tufted Duck but I also found a single Pintail and a Little Egret flew in.

With the fog now lifting when I opened the flaps in Gadwall Hide I could see there were plenty of birds, which stretched from Brown’s Island and round to Goldeneye Hide.  There were plenty of Wigeon, Tufted Duck and Coot and a few Great Crested Grebes and two Pintail just in front of the hide.  I eventually found the Slavonian Grebe, which was quite close to the hide and provided some nice views and there was a single Redshank feeding along the edge.

When I reached Goldeneye Hide I hadn’t seen anything else and on opening the flaps there was a Green Sandpiper with a Redshank almost in front but they both flew off towards the point.  As I scanned through the Lapwing on the point I found another two Redshank and three Dunlin but there was little else of note and I continued around Lax Hill before dropping down towards Lagoon Eight seeing a couple of Red Kites as I did so.  There was very little on either Lagoon Five or eight and I didn’t see a great deal else on the walk back to the centre with another Bullfinch and two more Reed Buntings being the highlights.

After a chat with Mike I went into the centre before going for lunch and with the thick fog now gone it was possible to view all of Lagoon One.  There was a male Stonechat just in front of the centre and I counted forty-one Pintail on the lagoon but with little else of note I went to the North Arm.

I scanned the fishponds whilst having my lunch and found a Great White Egret on the bund in the fishponds and I could see a second in the North Arm.  There were also three male and four female Goosanders in the fishponds and a single Pintail.  After I had finished my lunch I went down the spit to view the North Arm.  There were three Little Egrets on the bund and a fourth and a Shelduck on the north shore and nine Pintail feeding in the shallows.  I walked towards the end of the spit to scan the south bay and counted fifty-six Pintail and there was a Great White Egret and a Redshank on the shoreline, although presumably the Great White Egret was one I had seen earlier as one was no longer near the north shore.  There were quite a few Greylag Geese on the shore and in the water and most then entered the water and on scanning one of the groups I found the Pink-footed Goose.  I spent quite some time scanning the water for the Long-tailed Duck and the Black-necked Grebes without success but the mist wasn’t helping, particularly towards the far shore.  As I was scanning towards the North Shore I saw several Dunlin in flight but they were extremely difficult to see once on the ground but there were at least twenty.

I eventually gave up on the Long-tailed Duck and Black-necked Grebes and went back to the reserve and walked out to Lapwing Hide seeing a third Great White Egret on Lagoon One as I set off.  A brief stop in Smew Hide produced a red-headed Smew and there was a single Little Egret from Crake Hide.  There were plenty of birds in South Arm Three but I couldn't find anything of note and I went back to Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three.

When I reached the hide two other birders were just leaving but they hadn’t seen much from the hide but had seen both the Long-tailed Duck and Black-necked Grebes earlier.  I had a quick look on Lagoon Three and found another four Pintail but with a working party in the reedbed I decided I would go back to the North Arm as the fog was now almost gone.

I called at Grebe Hide on Lagoon Two as the two birders had also seen four red-headed Smew earlier.  There were another three Pintail in front of the hide but initially there was no sign of any Smew.  As I continued scanning I heard a Cetti’s Warbler and three red-headed Smew flew out from the reeds near Lapwing Hide.

When I got back to the car the fog had completely gone but as I approached the North Arm it was still lingering and with the light beginning to fade I wasn’t too optimistic.  When I got to the end of the spit there were now masses of gulls on the water, which didn’t help looking for the grebes but I did find the Long-tailed Duck before I called it a day and headed off home.

No comments:

Post a Comment