Wednesday 20 April 2016

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland and Northamptonshire - April 19, 2016

Malcolm had informed me yesterday of a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker that was performing quite well yesterday at Lings Wood in Northampton and as it is a species that is quite difficult to see these days I decided to go and take a look.

I left home quite early to ensure to give myself the best chance of seeing the bird and arrived in the car park at around 07:00.  The bird could be heard drumming from the car park yesterday but there was no sign when I got out of the car and put on an extra level of clothing.  There was quite a bit of song that included a Chiffchaff and a Nuthatch but the woodpecker was still silent after about ten minutes and I began to wonder if it was going to perform today.  However it suddenly began drumming and on scanning the tree I thought it was in I couldn’t locate it and moved a little closer until I appeared to be right under the tree where it was drumming but I still couldn’t find it.  I knew it took Malcolm almost an hour yesterday to find it and so I gave him a call.  He described the branch it was drumming on yesterday, which I located but still couldn’t see it but then I saw some movement and after moving back from the tree had good views of a male sitting on the top of the branch it was drumming on.  The branch was almost horizontal and consequently by getting too close to the tree it was out of sight and I suppose I was focusing more on vertical type branches.


I went back to the car to get my scope and whilst I was trying to get the scope on the bird I noticed a bird fly in and the Lesser Spotted fly off.  The new arrival was a Great Spotted Woodpecker, which began to drum on the same branch.  It didn’t stay too long and the Lesser Spotted soon returned to continue drumming.  I managed to get a few shots of the bird without disturbing it and when I left it was still drumming almost constantly.


Lesser Spotted Woodpecker


Lesser Spotted Woodpecker


Lesser Spotted Woodpecker


Lesser Spotted Woodpecker


Lesser Spotted Woodpecker

Malcolm had also heard that there was a Cuckoo back at Great Easton and so as it was on the way to Rutland Water I called in there in the hope of getting my first Cuckoo of the year.

When I arrived Malcolm was already there and was a good way down the footpath and so I set off after him.  He called to say don’t rush as I haven't seen or heard a Cuckoo, however when I eventually caught up with at the end of the path he had heard one but it was rather distant.  We hung around at the end of the path for a while but with no further sign of the Cuckoo we made our way back along the track.  The area is quite good for warblers and we did see or hear two Chiffchaff, six Willow Warbler and a couple of Lesser Whitethroats but I was surprised not to have any contact with Blackcap or Whitethroat, which would suggest that there hopefully more to arrive.  We also found a couple of Marsh Tits with one providing good views and initially I thought they might be Willow Tits as one was very drab, particularly on the underparts.  However after confirming that they were Marsh Tits we realised that the underparts were probably coated in the pollen from the catkins they were feeding amongst.  As we got back to the cars we had a Red Kite and a Buzzard soaring just to the north of the footpath.


Willow Warbler


Willow Warbler

Malcolm was going to call at Eyebrook Reservoir but I was heading straight to Rutland Water but called Bob to see if he was there and if so what had he seen.  He was there but hadn’t seen anything of note in the North Arm and I said I would probably catch up with him on the Egleton Reserve.

When I arrived in the car park Bob’s car was there but he had obviously gone on and I went to the centre to see what was in the book.  Stephen was volunteering today had been down to Lagoon Four earlier and had seen three Whimbrel, a Common Sandpiper and a Wheatear and so I set off in that direction.

As I approached the hide two Ospreys were soaring high just to the south and a third bird then flew low over the hide and headed off south before soaring close to the other two birds.  When I entered Sandpiper hide Bob was there and indicated that he had seen a Greenshank with a Redshank at the back of the lagoon.  I soon found the bird, which was the first of the year for Rutland Water and obviously a patch-tick but also a year-tick.  The Redshank was still there and there were also six Ringed Plovers and eight Dunlin.  I then located the three Whimbrel feeding on the west bank and Bob found a male Wheatear on the same bank.  There was also five Common Terns resting near island ten and there were three pairs of Oystercatcher on different islands and a forth Osprey was still on the nest with a single Yellow Wagtail making a brief visit to island ten.  As we scanned Burley Wood we located a Red Kite, six Sparrowhawk, at least ten Buzzards, yet another Osprey and a Raven.

Bob had heard a Lesser Whitethroat singing towards Dunlin Hide and as I still haven’t seen one we went to search for it.  As we walked towards Dunlin Hide it sang again and we then saw it perched nicely at the top of one of the bushes alongside a Willow Warbler.

A visit to Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three produced very little, except for three more Common Terns and I went to check South Arm Three from Lapwing Hide.  As I walked along the track I could hear a Reed Warbler singing and managed to get brief views whilst in was in a small bush.  When I reached Lapwing Hide the water was almost like a mill pond but there were few birds on the water and all I found of note were two more Common Terns.

As I made my way back to the centre I had brief views of a Sedge Warbler and some rather nice views of a Blackcap as it sang from the top of a tree alongside the path.  I little further along I found Bob taking it easy resting on one of the benches and we then continued on to the centre together.

When I reached the car park Stephen had finished his volunteering shift and after a brief chat was on his way back to Lagoon Four in search of the Yellow Wagtail.  Ken had also arrived and after lunch he and I set off towards the southern lagoons.

We stooped on a couple of occasions to observe a Willow Warbler and a Chiffchaff  and as we were alongside Lagoon Five bund I heard an Avocet calling and saw it briefly as it passed in front of heading south.  On reaching Snipe Hide overlooking the Wet Meadow we found a couple of Pintail and several Shoveler on the flash and there were two Oystercatchers just to the left of the hide and a single Little Egret.

We moved onto Harrier Hide seeing another Willow Warbler on route but we found nothing new from the hide and continued on to Fieldfare Hide.  As I scanned a small group of Tufted Duck diving to the right of the hide I found a female Scaup and then Ken noticed that there were actually two amongst the Tufted.

We walked back to Tern Hide on Lagoon Six where we found a couple of Oystercatchers and three Redshanks with another Osprey flying over the hide and then presumably it was the same one returning a few minutes later.


Osprey over Lagoon Six

As we passed Lagoon Eight there was another pair of Oystercatchers on one of the islands, which were possibly nesting but there was little else on the lagoon.  We did our best to check out Lagoon Seven where we found a Green Sandpiper and another two Oystercatchers and from Shelduck Hide on Lagoon Five we found another three Redshanks.

As we were walking back to the centre an Osprey flew over again, which was presumably the bird we had seen over Lagoon Six earlier.


Osprey over path between Lagoon Five and Six

On reaching the centre we went to the viewing gallery and found a Black-tailed Godwit, a Curlew and another Pintail but there was nothing else new.


Grey Heron on Lagoon One

I called at Eyebrook Reservoir briefly on route home and was just in time to see a Short-eared Owl on the ground in one of the fields on the Leicestershire bank.  There was also three Whimbrel and two Common Terns and a good number of hirundines, which were mainly Sand Martin but I did also notice a few Swallow.  As I left the reservoir the Little Owl obliged in the Old Oak but other than a Buzzard on the right as I was climbing away from Eyebrook Reservoir I saw little else.

It had been quite a successful day with two year-ticks, a Greenshank and the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, with the Greenshank also being a patch-tick, which moved my total on to 130 with a point’s score of 156.

No comments:

Post a Comment