Monday 26 October 2015

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - October 13, 2015

There had been a couple of Bearded Tits heard in the reedbed at Rutland Water yesterday and so I headed straight to the Egleton Reserve, seeing Red Kites over the A47 ay both Tugby and Uppingham.  On arrival in the Egleton car park I set off towards the reedbed on lagoon three, which is an area not normally accessible but Tim had suggested that I go in and try to locate them.  As I approached the area Steve and Terry had given up as the area was pretty wet and wellingtons were essential.  Fortunately I had the foresight to wear mine and was able to get around without too much difficulty.  After walking through most of the assessable area the only bird of note I had seen was a Marsh Tit but there was no sign of the Bearded Tits, although I did hear at least three Cetti’s Warbler.  I was in the reedbed for well over an hour and also spent a good half-hour in Bittern Hide but still with no indication that the Bearded Tits were still present.

I checked out Lagoon Four from Plover Hide but other than four Pintail there was nothing else of note, although I was surprised to see a pair of Egyptian Goose with two small young, which I considered to be quite a late date.  I moved on Smew Hide where there was a single Little Egret and there were seven from Crake Hide and I found six Goldeneye from Lapwing Hide.  Whilst I was scanning the South Arm I noticed Malcolm on the north shore and assumed he was looking for the Red-necked Grebe.  I gave him a call and my assumption was correct but he hadn’t found it and so I checked with Steve to see if he and Terry had seen it but they had also drawn a black but had seen a Rock Pipit on the dam.  I had intended to go to Sykes Lane car park to obtain and annual permit to all the car parks and after calling Malcolm back agreed to meet him in the Egleton car park and we go together to try and find the pipit.

After obtaining the parking permit we walked onto the dam and found several Pied Wagtails and six Meadow Pipits but there was no sign of the Rock Pipit.  We did find two Green Woodpeckers on the fence posts below the dam but saw very little else and armed with my new permit we called at Whitwell.  Steve and Terry had seen a female-type Scaup in the creek and after some searching we located the bird, which was presumably and immature as the white around the base of the bill wasn’t complete but the pale patch on the ear-coverts was obvious.  It was slightly larger than the nearby Tufted Ducks and the head-shape was more rounded without any sign of a tuft.  A probable second bird was then found but it was slightly smaller with no white around the base of the bill and a fainter ear-covert patch but again the head-shape looked good and there was no sign of a tuft.

We called at Barnsdale as we made our way back and found the two Black-necked Grebes in the North Arm and there were a couple of drake Pintail and four Little Egrets in the bay.
We also viewed the North Arm from the end of the cottage road and found the seventeen Barnacle Geese on the north shore, fourteen Pintail and two Curlew off the end of the spit and there were another twelve Little Egrets further down the arm.

After a discussion with Steve and Terry, Malcolm and I decided to go Lyndon as they had seen a Garganey and a Green Sandpiper in Manton Bay and it would also give us another opportunity of finding the Red-necked Grebe.  On reaching Lyndon we set off for Shallow Water Hide but other than a Kestrel near Tufted Duck Hide and a Chiffchaff beyond Wader Scrape Hide we saw very little.  From the hide I soon found the Garganey and a Ruff and Malcolm located the Green Sandpiper.  There was a single Snipe in the direction of Wader Scrape Hide and four more near the fence close to the hide and I counted twenty-seven Pintail in the bay.  We eventually called it a day and walked back to the centre but still didn’t have any luck with the Red-necked Grebe.


We made a brief call to Eyebrook Reservoir on route home and found that the immature Spoonbill was still present along with nine Pintail and there was a Red Kite and two Buzzards soaring over the fields beyond the Leicestershire bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment