Friday 27 February 2015

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - February 24, 2015

I set off for Eyebrook Reservoir seeing a Sparrowhawk just after leaving Blaston and then a Red Kite as I neared the turning to Great Easton with another just before turning left to Eyebrook Reservoir.


There were three Little Egrets in the south west bay but other than a few Red-legged Partridges I saw very little else before continuing on beyond the reservoir to check out the old oak.  As I came back towards the reservoir one of the Little Owls was visible in the oak and I saw a Green Woodpecker and a Jay close to the road bridge and another Red Kite was circling over the field to the east.  After parking so as to look over the inlet I found another Little Egret and eight Dunlin but there was very little else.  A quick stop at the Stoke Dry feeding station produced the Nuthatch and a variety of commoner species.



Nuthatch at the Stoke Dry feeding station

As it was now quite windy I decided to head for the Egleton Reserve at Rutland Water and after parking headed for the centre.  I stopped at the feeding station where there appeared to more activity than of later with plenty of birds visiting the feeders but a couple of Reed Buntings were the most unusual.


Great Tit


Blue Tit


Reed Bunting


Chaffinch


Chaffinch

After checking the book I set off to Snipe hide on the wet meadow and on arrival found fifteen Shelduck on the flash and another two on the wet meadow and a drake Pintail dropped on to the flash.  There was also Greylag Goose, Canada Goose, Wigeon, Gadwall, Teal, Mallard and Shoveler feeding in the area and the higher water levels were clearly to the liking of many of the birds.  A distant Red Kite was observed over Burley Wood and two Oystercatchers were on lagoon one.

I moved on to harrier hide but other than a single Snipe there was nothing else of note, except for a Buzzard that I watched drift over from the north arm.  I called at Pintail hide on lagoon six but a single Shelduck was the highlight there but there were more birds on lagoon eight than of late but nothing of note.  From the 360° hide on lagoon five there was a pair of Pintail feeding on the lagoon, a Little Egret on the bund and a single Dunlin amongst a small party of Lapwings roosting on one of the islands.

I called at Mallard hide on my way back to the centre and with the water level now quite high there were quite a few birds feeding close by, including a single Redshank.  I could see several Curlew feeding in the meadows and eventually counted twelve and the Great White Egret flew in and began feeding quite close to the hide, providing some excellent photo opportunities.


Canada Goose on lagoon one


Immature Mute Swan on lagoon one


Drake Wigeon on lagoon one


Female Wigeon on lagoon one


Curlew over lagoon one


Curlew over lagoon one


Great White Egret on lagoon one


Great White Egret on lagoon one


Great White Egret on lagoon one


Great White Egret on lagoon one


Great White Egret on lagoon one


Great White Egret on lagoon one


Great White Egret on lagoon one


Great White Egret on lagoon one


Great White Egret on lagoon one


Great White Egret on lagoon one


Great White Egret on lagoon one


Great White Egret on lagoon one


Great White Egret on lagoon one


Great White Egret on lagoon one


Great White Egret on lagoon one


Robin from Mallard hide


Robin from Mallard hide


Robin from Mallard hide

As I watched and photographed the Great White Egret several of the Curlew flew off towards the centre, three Dunlin flew over and then after a preen the Great White Egret also flew closer to the centre.  When I got back to the centre a Stoat was seen between the centre and the water and I was able to get a few shots as it came closer before disappearing round the side of the building.


Stoat from the centre


Stoat from the centre


Stoat from the centre


Stoat from the centre

After some lunch I set off to Shoveler hide on lagoon three but other than another pair of Shelduck and three Snipe it was rather quiet and so I continued on to Lapwing hide.  Again other than a large raft of Coot and a few Tufted Duck and Goldeneye it was rather quiet and it looks as though some of the wildfowl may have departed early.


Great Crested Grebe on lagoon three


Moorhen on lagoon three

I went into sandpiper hide to check out lagoon four where there were at least six Pintail and a Ringed Plover.  Steve and Terry then joined me just as I picked up a red-headed Smew and Steve soon found a male.  More Ringed Plovers were found with six in total being seen and Terry located three Dunlin with some of the Ringed Plovers and two Oystercatchers to the left.  Several Red Kites and Buzzards were seen soaring to the north and after Steve and Terry had departed I found two red-headed Smew.  Despite looking for some time for the male I was unable to relocate it and I suspected that there may well have been three red-heads.

A quick check at the centre before heading off to Eyebrook Reservoir again produced a female Goosander.

I was going back to Eyebrook Reservoir in the hope of finding a Stonechat that had been seen earlier.  As it was still quite windy I went to the Leicestershire bank and took some shelter in the corral, where I could scan the Rutland bank in some comfort.  Needless to say there was no sign of the Stonechat but I did see a male and two red-headed Smew.  There were also quite a few gulls coming and going, mainly Black-headed and Common Gulls but also Lesser Black-backed, Herring and Great Black-backed but there was nothing unusual whilst I was there, although I did count twenty-two Lesser Black-backed at one point.

No comments:

Post a Comment