Tuesday 13 May 2014

A late morning and afternoon at Rutland Water - May 9, 2014

I didn’t intend to go out today but with a message indicating that the Glossy Ibis was on lagoon three and quite close to shoveler hide and I decided to go over to hopefully get some photos.


When I got to shoveler the ibis was still present but took great delight in hiding amongst the Juncus and was difficult to photograph.  However something spooked the birds, on and close to the shore, including the ibis and they all flew out over lagoon three.  The ibis soon turned and after briefly coming down close to one of the islands, flew again and then landed in the water between the hide and the closest island.  This allowed me to get some nice shots of it both on the ground and in flight.








Glossy Ibis on lagoon three

With news of at least six Sanderling on lagoon four I went to sandpiper hide but all I could find were a Ringed Plovers and Dunlin.  I learnt that there had been fifteen Sanderling but that they had gone off high mid-morning.  I therefore went back to the car park for some lunch.

After lunch I returned to shoveler hide but the ibis had flown off just before 14:00 and didn’t return, although it was found again later in the north arm.  I did see a Red Kite, four Buzzards and an Osprey whilst in the hides and also several Oystercatchers and three first-summer Little Gulls.  It was also nice to see a reasonable number of Swifts over the lagoons with at least three hundred being present.


Great Crested Grebe on lagoon three



First-summer Little Gull over lagoon three


Swift over lagoon three

No comments:

Post a Comment