Sunday 15 September 2013

A day at Rutland Water, Rutland - September 14, 2013

I decided to pay another visit to Rutland Water today as if the weather forecast is correct it mat be the last decent day until the middle of next week.  I went straight to the Egleton Reserve and headed off towards Lax Hill.  As I approached mallard hide on lagoon one there was a party of birds feeding in the bushes and I saw a single Chiffchaff and Marsh Tit.  Three Little Egrets were the highlights from mallard hide and snipe hide on the wet meadow fared no better with just two Little Egrets and there was nothing of note from harrier hide.  On reaching gadwall I scanned the island in south arm three, seeing a couple of Ringed Plovers, several Dunlin and a singe Ruff but there was no sign of the Pectoral Sandpiper.  There must have been in excess of 500 House Martins low over the water in the south arm but I only saw a couple of Swallow and a single Sand Martin but I am sure that there were probably more.  There were three Yellow-legged Gulls amongst the Great Black-backed Gulls on the islands and two Chiffchaffs were observed just outside the hide.  As I walked towards Lax Hill I could see that there was little close to goldeneye hide and so gave it a miss but had as second Marsh Tit from robin hide.  I continued over the top of Lax Hill and dropped down to wigeon hide to overlook south arm two and Manton Bay.  I found two Ruff and three Pintail in Manton Bay and there was a single Little Egret on the bank of south arm two.  As I scanned the wigeon in south arm I came across several Little Grebes and then noticed a winter plumaged Black-necked Grebe amongst them, which was a good find.  I called at kingfisher hide on lagoon eight and found two Common Sandpipers just in front of the hide but there was very little else on the lagoon.  From the 360° overlooking lagoon five there were five more Little Egrets and as I walked to shelduck I found my third Marsh Tit of the morning.  Seeing one is usually a good bird for the day at the site.

After some lunch I went to the Old Hall as the Pectoral Sandpiper and two Little Stints had been visible from there.  Way I arrived I found Mick Kettley and two other birds present and they informed me that they had not seen either and were feeling there was little chance of doing so.  I scanned from the left hand side of the island and found the Pectoral Sandpiper almost immediately, initially suspecting it due to its more leisurely feeding action.  Further scans then produced at least one and possibly two Little Stints although the distance makes watching small waders almost a waste of time.


On returning to the reserve I walked to sandpiper hide on lagoon four where I had much better views of a nice juvenile Little Stint that was in company of nine Ringed Plovers and a single Dunlin.  There was also ten Pintail on the lagoon and three Red Kites and five Buzzards were observed towards Burley Wood.  There were four Black-tailed Godwits feeding on lagoon three but the only other wader was a single roosting Snipe.


Black-tailed Godwits feeding on lagoon three

At crake hide the long staying juvenile Sparrowhawk was still present and there were also five Snipe feeding in what appear to be ideal conditions, certainly Teal and Moorhen seem to lake the area.  I couldn't find the Black-necked Grebe reported earlier from lapwing hide as the light was now very poor, particularly looking to where it was earlier.


Juvenile Spotted Redshank from crake hide


Female Teal from crake hide


Moorhen from crake hide


Little Grebe from lapwing hide


Drake Wigeon from lapwing hide

I called at redshank hide on lagoon two on my way back to the centre where I saw a Hobby, three Green Sandpipers, a Greenshank and the only Common Tern of the day.  Two Hobbies were observed from the Bird Watching Centre and a Kingfisher provided some nice views as it sat and fished unsuccessfully from the wire fence.


Grey Heron on lagoon one

No comments:

Post a Comment