Friday 25 May 2018

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - May 8, 2018


I was out on my own today and when I left home it was bright and sunny and I headed for Eyebrook Reservoir but didn't see a great deal on route.

I stopped at the inlet bridge where it appeared very quiet, but I did find a Eurasian Treecreeper before I moved on to view the inlet.  The water was still very high and other than a few terns over the water there appeared to be very little else.  As I scanned through the terns I saw what I thought was a Black Tern, but it disappeared behind the trees running to the edge of the water.  I was looking into the light and as I searched for the Black Tern, all I good see were Common Terns and they looked quite dark at times in the bright light.  After several minutes I was beginning to wonder if I did see a Black Tern or was it just one of the Common Tern looking dark.  I moved further up the reservoir so that I could look back at the terns in better light and was relieved to find there was a single Black Tern, which was the first record in the counties this spring.  I called both David and Malcolm to let them know about the tern as David had indicated that he might be out later.

With Little else I moved onto the Egleton Reserve at Rutland Water and after parking walked to Sandpiper Hide on Lagoon Four.  There were two Eurasian Oystercatchers, five Common Ringed Plovers, two Dunlin and four Common Redshanks around the lagoon along with four Common Shelduck, a Little Egret and forty-two Common Terns.

As I walked down the slope I saw a Blackcap and further around towards the path to Shoveler Hide a Lesser Whitethroat showed briefly.  I walked to Bittern Hide seeing a Eurasian Oystercatcher fly over and a Eurasian Reed Warbler from the hide.  As I came out of the hide Malcolm called to say he had seen the Black Tern at Eyebrook Reservoir and was now at Rutland Water and asked if I had heard the Nightingale.  I hadn’t heard it but as we were talking it started to sing and did so for about five minutes and I then walked towards the path to Shoveler Hide.  I met Malcolm coming down the track and informed him that the Nightingale had gone quiet but after we had talked for a while another birder indicated it was singing as they walked past the area.  Malcolm continued down the path whilst I went into Shoveler Hide to view Lagoon Three but all I saw of note was a single Eurasian Oystercatcher.

I had arranged a meeting with Rebecca for 11:00 and so I made my way back to the car park.  I stopped to view Lagoon One from the last Rutland gate and found a Little Tern amongst the Common Tern feeding over the water.  I went into the centre to get a better look but couldn't find it amongst the thirteen Common Terns.  I alerted Steve of the sighting and went to my meeting with the Rebecca seeing a Common Kestrel over the fishponds on route.

I spent a good hour with Rebecca and then returned to Egleton and after some lunch went back to the viewing area in the centre.  Steve had seen the Little Tern but it had disappeared again but there were three Hobbies hawking over the poplars.

Malcolm had joined me, and Andy and Roger Brett had gone off to Lagoon Four where the Little Tern was being reported.  Malcolm had also seen three Black Terns earlier but they appeared to have gone off high to the east and hadn’t been seen since.  I picked up three waders flying high over the lagoon but couldn’t get any details on them before they flew off in the direction of Lax Hill and then I noticed that the Little Tern was back over the lagoon. I alerted Malcolm but my phone then rang and it was Roger Brett informing me that three Curlew Sandpiper had just dropped onto Lagoon Four.  Malcolm and I set off immediately for Lagoon Four and I notified Steve as we were making our way to Sandpiper Hide.

When we arrived, the birds were still present, with one looking rather smart whilst the other two were still moulting into their summer plumage.  There was also a probable European Golden Plover amongst the distant stones and when Steve joined us we agreed that it was a European Golden Plover.  There were two Common Buzzards over Burley Wood and Steve then found the Pink-footed Goose on island eight.  I then picked up a Raven over Burley and was about to inform the others when Steve announced he had a Northern Raven over Burley.  A Western Osprey was then observed over Burley and a Eurasian Sparrowhawk was seen just before it disappeared over the Lagoon Three bund.  Two Red Kite then circled over the lagoon before Malcolm and I went to Buzzard Hide on Lagoon Three to see if would could see the Mediterranean Gull.

There was no sign of the Mediterranean Gull but there were at least three Common Pochard on the lagoon and another Eurasian Sparrowhawk flew over.  With little else on the lagoon Malcolm and I returned to the car park seeing a Great Spotted Woodpecker near the badger hide.

It had been an excellent days birding with seventy-six species recorded, two of which, Curlew Sandpiper and Black Tern, were year-ticks.  They moved my year-list onto 210, which is pretty good for me by mid-May.

No comments:

Post a Comment